Thursday, June 17, 2010

Out of the Garbage and Onto My Windowsill

I've spent a lot of time this week working in my garden, getting everything cultivated, weeded, and staked. George put up a strong fence for my peas, and we have more grass to haul for the trenches.

Because it has been a cold spring, with a lot of wind, many of the gardeners have suffered losses, and have to replant. My corn got very wind-damaged, making the outer leaves shredded and bleached out. However, the inner strands appear normal, so I'll risk not replanting.

Club root has taken hold again this spring in many of the plots, and the gardeners are throwing away all their mustard, kale, cauliflower, and cabbage. Plants affected with this fungus have swollen and miss-shapen roots which become incapable of hydrating the plant. They wilt, turn yellow, and die. There are very few treatments available which would be sanctioned by the Park District for public plots. The co-ordinator at my plot suggested using a solution of cooked rhubarb leaves at planting time. I tried this, pouring it all around my brussel-sprout sets and my collards. So far, neither has shown evidence of the fungus. The best solution is to wait 5 - 7 years before planting anything in the brassicaceae family. At 66, seven years is a long time to wait just to get cauliflower!

I learned last year to harvest early, before the systemic damage causes the plants to wilt and die. At least a little mustard and kale is better than none.

My neighbor ripped out all her collards and threw them into a garbage can. I saw them there, all deep green and beautiful, and had to bring a few leaves home, just to enjoy on my windowsill. The light, pouring through them, highlighted the intricate vascular network in the leaves.